Revision as of 15:26, 2 March 2019 by Balanoid (1 revision imported)
Patrol Camping Checklist (Fall outdoor)
The below requirements are in addition to your standard camping requirements for spring and summer.
- Dress in layers
- Trapped air helps keep you warm
- Shed layers if you warm up, DO NOT GET SWEATY!
If you get wet, make sure you change into dry clothes as soon as possible.
In order to do that, you must have more than 1 article of clothing with you. For example, 3 pairs of wool socks, 2 pairs of pants, etc.
- NO COTTON clothing as your primary clothing.
- Nylon wind pants, or wool pants, and polypropylene or wool long underwear
- Recommend polypropylene or silk.
- Sweater/ long sleeved shirt
- Fleece jacket/ pants
- Socks, wool or synthetic (3 pairs)
- NO cotton sweat socks.
- Winter shell jacket/ parka (layer with vest, sweater, tee shirt, etc.)
- Gloves (leather or nylon covered for water resistance, NOT just fleece) Mittens (warmer than gloves) with waterproof shells
- Winter Hat (very important) Balaclava and/or neck gaiter
- Hiking boots
- Tent, Tarp*
- Waterproof ground sheet for under your tent.
- Sleeping bag, good to 0 degrees. You can also add a fleece liner to a mid-weight bag.
- Sleeping pad (Therm-a-rest or closed-cell foam is recommended. Use 2 pads if they are thin, you want to be insulated from the cold ground.).
Hammock Camping DIY
- In the winter a hammock requires a tarp and more insulation under you than required for a tent. A thick foam mat or better yet an under quilt. If you do not have these you cannot hammock camp in fall or winter!
- Hammock resources. http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
- Make your own hammock http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/hammock-guide/
- Great how to videos https://bigwhitefish.com/blog.php?mode=view&id=48
- Tarp https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0261/6507/files/WINTER12_Tarp_Instructions_-_revA.pdf?3735829523060114529
- Tarp http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/tarps/
- Hammock bug net https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0261/6507/files/net.pdf?8049775148327021384
- Poncho Liner under quilt https://bigwhitefish.com/blog.php?mode=view&id=53